RE: arsclist CD access copies

Dear All

Peter is almost correct: many Oral History interviews in the British Library
are originated on Minidisc, but my no means all.  Some Oral Historians are
persevering with cassettes using the ubiquitous Marantz CP430 and there are
some moves afoot to use portable CD-R recorders (e.g. Marantz CDR300) and
so-called solid state recorders to record in BWAV format (I can't recall the
product name but it's Marantz again!).

The Oral Historians who use Minidisc either set the recorder to
automatically flag the recording every circa five minutes, or go through the
recording after the interview and flag particular segments (perhaps the
interviewer's questions).  Sometimes they flag on the fly.

I don't think it really matters which method is used, as long as the (long)
interview can be navigated using the track markers.  Perhaps the
post-interview flagging is the best when the interviewer can mark particular
subject/topics?

Digital transfers to CD-R are made for access just as outlined by Peter
(below).

Regards

Nigel

Nigel Bewley