Re: arsclist media preservation and access project

Don Cox wrote:

> On 19-Nov-02, Jerome Hartke wrote:
> > This may be rather minor, but Red Book, or IEC 908, applies only to
> > digitized audio recorded as a continuous stream. It does not define a
> > WAV file structure.
> >
> > Yellow Book, or ISO/IEC 10149, and ISO 9660 provide for recording
> > files to a CD. They do not define a WAV file structure.
> >
> > Someone else on the list may know the origin of WAV. It is a popular
> > method of saving audio in a file structure, but I do not believe that
> > a disc with WAV files would play in a Red Book audio player.
>
> The point of having a disk with a WAV file on it is that it can be read
> with bit-for-bit accuracy, and an audio CD can always be derived from it.
>
> This is not true of a Red Book disk, which is a streaming medium and
> does not claim to return the exact bits that you recorded.
>
> So you have one copy to listen to and one in reserve as an archive (for
> as long as it lasts).
>
> If the WAV disk does fail, the computer may refuse to read the file at
> all. So in that case, the audio disk could be a useful second best.
>
> The actual digital content of a CDDA file and an uncompressed WAV file
> are the same - the WAV has a header added. An AIFF is also the same.
>
> Regards
> --
> Don Cox
> doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CD-DA, or Red Book audio, is not streaming, but consists of frames, each
containing 24 bytes of digitized audio together with eight bytes of
powerful cross-interleave Reed-Solomon error correcting code plus sync
and subcode. CD-ROM, or Yellow Book data, adds additional error
correction at the sector level.

Jerry

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html