Re: arsclist Tubes will not die

On 19-Nov-02, Goran Finnberg wrote:
> Don Cox wrote:
>
>> Both Philips (Mercury) and RCA elected to use the original recorders
>> when transferring historic tapes to CD.
>
> Really?
>
> On my Living Stereo RCA CD 09026 68792-2 Georg Gershwin-Rhapsody in
> Blue - Arthur Fiedler-Boston Pops-Earl Wild, piano the back states:
>
> "Digitally remastered in 20 bit technology using a customized Studer
> transport with Cello electronics and universally UV22 Super CD
> Encoding."
>
> This is as high end tape transfer using some of the very best
> transitorized equipment out there.
>
> Not a tube to be seen anywhere.
>
> Sounds exceptionally transparent and realistic using state of the art
> replay equipment.

This is from the booklet with a Reiner CD (Zarathustra and Heldenleben):

"In remastering Living Stereo for release on compact disk, the original
multi-track work parts were painstakingly restored to eliminate problems
caused by oxide flaking, defective rewinds, and other forms of material
fatigue. Because the original recordings were made on multi-track
machines with tube-type amplifiers, these machines wrere restored and
used to play back the work parts."

09026 614942

I don't have any tubes at all here, but I do think this is not a clear
case and there are good arguments on both sides.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx