Re: arsclist Tubes will not die

Mike Richter wrote:

> The issue here is not frequency response per se but response to waveform
> and, with that, to phase error. I have repeatedly run the following simple
> demonstration. Assume that the individual asserts that he can hear nothing
> above 15 KHz.
>
> 1. Set up two signal generators, both at 8 KHz, one for sine waves, the
> other for square waves
>
> 2. Using wide-band amplifiers and headphones, challenge the subject to
> adjust one of them - amplitude and frequency - to match the other.

If this test is performed using transducers that will NOT add distortion
when subjected to the square wave and electronics, preamp, power amp,
that will not produce distortion when fed with a square wave AND the 8
kHz fundamental frequency is kept constant in both cases AND the subject
person is unable to hear 24 kHz then there will be NO difference between
a square wave exitation compared to a sinusoid.

BTW, the above presupposes that the square wave generator is near
perfect such that the mark/space ratio is set at 50% perfectly so as to
only produce the expected odd 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th so on overtones that is
expected.

If the mark/space ratio is not set perfectly then we´ll see the 2nd,
4th, 6th, harmonics and a young ear will certainly hear the second
harmonic at 16 kHz from the badly adjusted square wave generator.

But correctly doe this test will yield no discernible difference at all.

--
Best,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther
-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
from the author of the post.