Re: arsclist CD vs DVD?

At 08:51 PM 11/5/2002 -0500, BluEsoterica@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello and thanks to all the ARSC list members for the expert advice that's
been posted on audio technology. I have a huge collection of blues tapes
(interviews and live music), on cassettes and reels, that I am archiving
myself until I can make a suitable arrangement with some institution or
library to manage the collection (if that ever happens). I had started
transferring some tapes to CDR but I see that DVD recorders are dropping in
price and I would appreciate any advice as to whether DVD is a higher quality
format -- also any advice on purchasing a fairly low-cost DVD recorder.

My advice on archiving to DVD is: don't.

We are uncertain of the durability of recordable CD media; there is no information at all on longevity of recordable DVD. There are two formats (data and CD-DA) to be considered for CD archiving, each in a well-documented and agreed standard. There are roughly a half-dozen fundamental standards for DVD, which variously implement a range of data and audio formats.

IMHO, your best choice would be to choose the quality of audio you wish to use - not necessarily the redbook standard for CD-DA - and the particularly line(s) of CD media. Then digitize and save as WAV files or at slight risk of obsolescence, a lossless compression scheme such as Shorten or MonkeysAudio.

Note that if the day comes when there is an obviously desirable DVD format, the CD archive can be transferred with little difficulty if you chose your CD format well.

Mike

mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/