arsclist Dick Burns

I assume this is a proper place to notice the passing of Dick Burns, petrhas best known for the "Packburn" audio noise surpressor.

Many may be familiar with him throgh his LP label, "Overtone" which was always high quality, musically and technically.  We owe him credit for releasing the Hindemith conducted early music choral records, the Ives songs with Helen Boatwright, etc.

His standards were uncomprimising.  Dick was the first recording engineer I knew who made his patch bay with XLR connectors to be sure phasing and grounding were correct.

I've been a dedicated user of the Packburn since it was released- before my upgrade, I had serial number 5.    Though not a device for the inattentive engineer, it certainly repaid a focussed one with results of the highest quality.  It required careful use and adjustment and an awareness of its limitations, particularly excessive level, for it to operate properly.  That was true of most professional audio equipment of that time.

We'd been friends since before the Packburn or, as he liked to call it, the "gadget."  We shared a strong interest in ancient chamber music performances, the Lener Quartet being a great favorite of his.  It must have been frightening to eavesdroppers when we would sit and croak illustrative musical passages at one another.

He had a wry sense of humor and a dry but hearty laugh.  A year or so ago I spent a greatly enjoyable day with Dick with and Tom Packard (the "Pack" of "Packburn"), talking, between stories and jokes, about the device's future in light of digital developments.  He felt, and I still do, that the device belonged in the 78 to CD chain before the signal went to digital.  It was typical of him to be considering its use in light of evolving technology.  It wouldn't surprise me to know he had something further in the works.  After all, he not only loved the "gadget," he loved gadgets.  But as a means to an end.  Music.

I've lost a good friend. So has the sound preservation community.

Steve Smolian

Steven Smolian    301-694-5134
Smolian Sound Studios
CDs made from old recordings,