Re: arsclist Assistance for Armenian Ethnomusicology Archive

At 10:54 AM 10/29/2002 +0100, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:
From: George Brock-Nannestad, Preservation Tactics
Dear All,

while the Americans are quibbling about who knows the most
about the usefulness of US equipment for Armenian use, please
consider the following quotes from the original query:

"we need
advice which kind of equipment we need for rerecording (very
detailed,
with prices) on CD , to preserve our archives."

----- this also means practical advice on how to connect to a sound
card, for instance in a computer.

Not necessarily. A standalone recorder may be the preferred solution to capture the recording; subsequent processing from the digital master is another issue.

" recorded on
cassetes and some of them still on an open-reel magnetic tape.
the records
was made by portable mashine started from 1930-1988."

----- do note that they were recorded on cassettes! And it seems
that some mechanical recordings must also exist, at least before
ca. 1952. A whole new can of worms

Because of the Philips patents, there is little question about transferring cassettes. Again, a standalone CD recorder may be used for capture. The issue then resolves to dealing with the open-reel tapes which are likely to be the most difficult to work with.

"Of course
we'll be glad to make a  sound restoration at the mean time, but it
depends on the cost of equipment"

----- so it is preservation copying by the cheapest means. Some
loss of quality is inavoidable, but speeds, equalisations may be
corrected at the cost of signal-to-noise ratios later.

Exactly. SNR implications from an analogue source tape are unlikely to be serious; the dynamic range of 16-bit digitizing is great enough that one can throw away even 20 db without degradation.

"we will be happy even with used one"
"may be even this way we can find persons who can donate a used
equipment"

----- so, as they are not likely to bid on Ebay, do donate!

Adequate cassette hardware is not unlikely to be donated or inexpensive. I purchased a new standalone CD recorder (Philips CDR 778) last week for less than $200. But a suitable open-reel recorder, even used, will run several times that, will require a reasonably sophisticated operator and is otherwise the key to the process in hand. I believe that that is the reason our focus has been on that aspect.

I believe that the institution in question must be:

Erevan Komitas State Conservatory Library