Re: arsclist RE: Technics SP-15 Turntables

And "Dave" <audio101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said...
> These tables come with a UN drilled arm puck, a 16" arm will work I
> have been told. You just need to drill the arm puck accordingly. These
> do come with covers that cover arm and table and are about the size of
> the base.

"acetates" is a misnomer... you are probably referring to lacquer coated
discs for instantaneous reproduction, more properly referred to as "lacquers".
The term "acetates" somehow got started in the broadcasting field when some
early 16" discs were pressed in a material that was labeled acetate.  Most
16" discs are pressed with a vinyl-type compound like RCA Victor's
"Victrolac".

The SH-15 Technics base will NOT accept an SME-3012 arm which is why I had
a special base and new cover made for mine... I kept only the heavy duty
detachable hinges from the SH-15 base to use on the new cover.
See it here:-

http://www.audio-restoration.com/MVC-383F.JPG

It will only properly accommodate an SME 3009 arm... which, I believe, can be
arranged will play a 16" disc but the geometry is not optimum.

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.
-