Re: arsclist Paper/Ink interaction with CDs studies?

Mike Richter wrote:

> At 09:47 PM 10/3/2002 -1000, Eric Nagamine wrote:
> >Does anyone know if any research has been done in regards to how types
> >of paper, toner or ink jet ink interact with CD's and if it affects
> >deterioration/longevity of discs? If anyone can point me to articles on
> >the subject, it would be most appreciated.
>
> May I suggest that the question is too broad to be answered easily?
>
> Chheck at Media Sciences - http://www.mscience.com/ - for information on
> writing on or printing to discs themselves. I have already reported that a
> company complained when I sent a disc in for detailed analysis: the
> commercial paper envelope I used had scratched the polycarbonate enough to
> disturb (but not to invalidate) the testing.
>
> Since neither paper nor ink is a uniform product, please identify which
> materials and in what application you mean in order for someone with
> knowledge to assist.

What I was interested in was the interaction between an insert card and
the CD in a jewel case. For example you print an information card to go
inside the cover of the jewel case using a laser or inkjet printer. Is
there any chance of the paper or ink/toner affecting the disc even it
doesn't touch the disc? Could non alkaline paper affect the disc?
Thanks.