Re: arsclist CD Envelopes

Alyssa Ryvers wrote:

> Thanks for all your suggestions; I'm sticking with the jewel cases. Speaking
> of which, do you find there are more unusable CDs when you buy them by the
> spindle, because in theory, they're all laying with direct contact on
> themselves, waiting to scratch themselves up.
>
> Just looking at alternatives to bring down the cost as I like to buy the
> gold HHB or Mitsui CDs.

It might be worth pointing out that there are ridges towards the centre
of a CD which are intended to stop the surface of one CD touching the
next when they are stacked on a spindle. If a spindle of CD's is
properly packed with the all the holding force applied to the centre of
the CD stack and no pressure applied to the outer part of the CD's then
there should only be direct contact through these ridges.

I've always found it more cost effective to buy Mitsui discs in jewel
cases rather than a spindle of discs and separate cases although I
really wish they didn't come individually shrink wrapped.

If space is at a premium and you are storing the CD's in a cabinet or
other reasonably dust free environment you could always remove the tray
from the rest of the library case and store the CD's in only the tray.
The trays with CD's in them will stack together and give you a higher
packing density than storage in complete library cases. Some suppliers
will sell the trays separately.

Cheers.

James.
-