Re: arsclist Digital knowledge preservation

At 12:08 PM 6/18/2002 -0500, joe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Perhaps in the future there will be programs for removing artifacts and
"restoring" fidelity to MP3 files, just as there are now programs for
removing noise from vintage analog audio sources. I'd prefer to store at
optimal parameters myself, whatever that is.

For some years, there have been programs which attempted to restore some of what had been discarded. Those I have tested at best recover some apparent high-end response; in the process, they also exaggerate artifacts. With a well-matched compressor and decompressor, the result may be somewhat helpful.

Note that WinAmp for a period claimed superior MP3 playback from such technology but withdrew it when most users found the "improvement" worse than the original.

Mike

mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/