Re: arsclist Digital knowledge preservation

At 10:24 AM 6/18/2002 -0700, Mike Richter wrote:
At 09:33 AM 6/18/2002 -0700, Richard L. Hess wrote:

One thing to consider in selecting a format to store to is that it is truly as lossless as possible for the vast majority of material contained in the archive. On the other hand, the format has to be well-supported with the anticipation that players will be available long into the future.

There is lossless compression available for digital audio. Two options are MonkeysAudio (my choice) and Shorten. I verified that there were no losses by compressing a file, uncompressing it, and comparing the result with the original. They are identical at the bit level. However, the available compression is only of the order of a factor of two. Whether that is sufficient to be worthwhile and whether the code is likely to be available indefinitely or for different platforms are factors in the choice. For my purposes, lossless as well as lossy compression has its place.

Agreed.

Note that in many contexts I refer to the MP3 discs as catalogues of the originals. Thought of in that light, their role is easier to recognize. They are (cross-)indexed representations of the archival material. Fidelity is sufficient for the purpose just as a catalogue of an art exhibit is sufficient for its purpose - and no one would confuse the representation in the catalogue with the original.

There was an implication in this thread that the only retained preservation copies of certain material were the MP3s. While the CBC is doing this for their talk programming, they are retaining full-bandwidth, uncompressed copies (48/16 or 44.1/16 at least) of their music programming.

I was heartened to hear that two uncompressed digital copies of the material are being retained in geographically diverse areas.

The catalogue concept as described above is certainly a very useful way for people to access material. It brings accessibility and the ability to truly learn from the material to new heights.

Having widely distributed proxies (or surrogates as I understand the film archive community prefers to call them) is a very useful process. In fact, good proxies can substitute for the originals in many applications. But knowing where the best copies are is essential for a few applications.

Cheers,

Richard

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html