From: Mike Richter [mailto:mrichter@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 13 May 2002 15:37
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: arsclist Gold Audio CDR

At 12:04 PM 5/13/2002 +0100, Copeland, Peter wrote:
>Dear All,
>     I regret Jerry does not seem to understand the situation here in
Europe.
>Most modern European "domestic" audio CD recorders refuse to record upon
>blanks which have not had a copyright royalty paid when they were sold.
>Therefore, gold Mitsui's (for example) cannot be recorded on them.
>     The only narrow possibility is as follows. The first domestic CD
>machines (sold a couple of years ago) could be fooled by the following
>procedure. Load a copyright-paid CD in the drawer, and allow the machine to
>read that the royalty has been paid. Then gently *pull the drawer open*,
and
>substitute an "ordinary" CD-R. Then push the drawer shut again.
>     This allowed a "domestic" CD recorder to record on either type of CD-R
>Audio blank.

Such "standalone" recorders are common in the U.S. as well - they are a
blessing in keeping those who have trouble remembering which side of the
blank goes up from fouling their computers. The designation required on
discs for such machines is "Digital Audio".

Semi-professional standalone recorders are not so restricted and also
relieve the constraint on multiple digital copies. As a result, premium
media are not commonly designated Digital Audio. A relevant sidelight is
that only older media formulations are appropriate for Digital Audio media.
The machines are designed to record in real time from analogue input.
Therefore, they must record at 1x, impossible for an HS erasable; almost
certainly very poor if permitted at all for a typical write-once blank.
Thus, there are both nominal (royalty) and practical (formulation)
differences between the two types of media.

Mike

mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/

Coming soon to The British Library Galleries :

Trading Places : the East India Company and Asia (from 24th May)
Magic Pencil : Children's Book Illustration Today (from 1st November)
legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you
are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify
the postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be
disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of
the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British
Library. The British Library does not take any responsibility for
the views of the author.