Re: arsclist Kodak is stopping CD-R manufacture !?

on 3/13/02 10:47 AM, Jerome Hartke wrote:

> If only it were true. In fact, all manufacturers knowingly violate the
> Red Book requirements for track pitch and scanning velocity in order to
> satisfy market demand for 80 minute discs. Philips response is to
> consider changing the specifications, and even to consider caving in to
> 90 or 99 minute discs that are awful.

This has not been my experience at all.

I've talked with the matrix departments at some of the larger plants in the
US, and they have been adamant about the +/- 79:58 limit. Perhaps it has
changed in the last few weeks among the smaller licensees.

Later. Parker

> Parker Dinkins wrote:
>>
>> on 3/12/02 1:16 PM, Jeff Carroll wrote:
>>
>>> I know that some, if not most, CD manufacturing plants do not guarantee the
>>> playability of discs that exceed the Red Book standard. --JC
>>
>> No CD manufacturing plant would violate any Red Book standard without
>> risking their license from Sony/Philips to manufacture CDs.
>>
>> AFAIK, the theoretical maximum recording time under the Red Book standard is
>> approximately 79:58.
>>
>> Although the policy varies by plant, some CD pressing plants require
>> waivers, extra fees and/or extra time to group similar orders (overlength
>> CDs require a tighter pitch angle for the cutter). What constitutes an
>> overlength CD varies by plant, and some don't even make that distinction.
>>
>> Later. Parker
>>
>> ---
>> Parker Dinkins                      CD Mastering + Audio Restoration
>> MasterDigital Corporation               http://www.masterdigital.com
>

> -
> For subscription instructions, see the ARSC home page
> http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
> Copyright of individual posting is owned by the author of the posting and
> permission to re-transmit or publish a post must be secured
> from the author of the post.

---