arsclist volume Control

I'm trying to learn how to burn cd's from vinyl and i've run into a problem i haven't been able to solve.  I've connected my turntable to my receiver and my receiver is plugged into the Line In port on the speaker of my compaq presario.  When i put the arm down onto the album to play it, the volume is very loud and i'm unable to control it either by the receiver volume control or the internal controls of the speakers.  Any suggestions?