Re: arsclist VHS and S-VHS Tapes

Hello,

I joined this list and the AMIA list some time ago when realizing I needed
to learn a lot to preserve the audio- and videotape collection that came
with this job.

This archives contains lectures by artists and art critics going back to
1964 and the lecture series is ongoing.

It was recommended to me that we should be making our new originals on S-VHS
tape.  Our VHS camera broke some time ago (before my time) and we have been
making originals on mini-DV for about a year.

I found new S-VHS equipment hard to find.  B&H only carries one model of
S-VHS camera and, due to fiscal crisis this summer, was out of our price
range.

I thought I'd make S-VHS copies of the mini-DV originals on hand so far, but
it sounds like this is not really useful since the digital original does not
have the carrier strength.  Correct?

The lab I use for making tape copies charges more than twice the usual cost
for S-VHS ($50) as opposed to VHS ($20) and tells me S-VHS is a format on
its way out.  Any comments on that?

(P.S. I only have copies made on demand as I want to save the money for
equipment!  I have no equipment for playing or copying the mini-DVs--just
that darn camera.)

Mary Habstritt
library@xxxxxxxx
John McEnroe Library