Re: arsclist cylinder frequency range

Date sent: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:56:49 -0800
To: ARSClist <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Seubert <seubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: arsclist cylinder frequency range
Send reply to: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

David Seubert wrote ....

We are trying to determine what the
> minimum sampling rate should be when converting a cylinder recording
> to a compressed file format for web delivery. Since the sampling rate
> only needs to be twice the maximum frequency, we'd like to use the
> lowest one possible.

----- The context in which you want to use both a low sampling rate and data reduction is very important. From my file of useful references I have found an AES Preprint by myself:

George Brock-Nannestad: "Archival Access to Historical Sound Recordings Via Internet Using the RealAudio Data Reduction Concept - Possibilities and Limitations With Inherently Noisy Material", Audio Engineering Society Preprint 4497, AES 102nd Convention 1997 March 22-25 Munich, Germany. 11pp.
(determines via experiment that signal processing of pre-1925 sound recordings must occur before encoding for transmission and subsequent decoding when physiological data compression is used)

The signal processing described was among other things spectral correction for the horn and soundbox complex. Please bear in mind that some modern noise reducing algorithms already comprise such physiological data reduction, which may compound problems when data reduction is used in transmission.

Best regards,

George Brock-Nannestad
Preservation Tactics
-