RE: arsclist New subscriber / LP restoration question

Dear Michael,
    My contribution is to recommend *elimination of distortion at source*.
That is :
(1) Have a number of LP styli of different sizes and shapes (including at
least one line-contact one), selecting one which avoids touching (what might
be) damaged parts of the groove;
(2) In order to reproduce LPs mastered before the vertical tracing angle of
stereo LP discs was standardised at fifteen degress in about 1965, mount the
turntable in trunnions so it may be tilted, and listen to the S signal and
adjust the vertical tracing angle for minimum distortion;
(3) Remember Walton's paper, which demonstrated that the distortion caused
by a large tip radius ( = "blunt") was almost exactly opposite to the
harmonic distortion caused by a massive stylus modifying its course by
deforming the groove wall. The fact that two types of distortion neutralised
each other was often used deliberately, but at the cost of permanent damage
to the grooves. This accounts for why so many "pop singles" were (and still
are) recorded at such high volumes.
    All this is described in the NSA's operational manual; but it's such a
complex matter that I don't want to bore other readers of this listeserver!
However, I shall conclude with a piece of personal hocus-pocus. I have often
found the distortion you describe may often be reduced by playing a vinyl
disc while it is *wet*. I don't know any technical explanations for this.
But trying to cure distortion "downstream" (sorry about that metaphor!),
seems to me a very second-best solution in principle.
Peter Copeland