arsclist Fwd: submission from [Richard Warren <richard.warren@yale.edu>]

Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 16:02:08 -0500
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Richard Warren <richard.warren@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: arsclist Analog reformatting tape specs-Advice sought

Dear Richard,

After long years of experience with most known formats of 1/4-inch
audiotape, I'd go with full-track mono for the sake of your and your
clients successors, but I can't quote any authorities other than archival
experience. You could look at the situation as allowing additional security
for the reel-to-reel copies (in full-track, if one tape degrades or gets
sticky "too soon", only one hour would be lost).

Best, Richard

Esther Gillie, Sound Recording Archivist Phone: 716-274-1330 Eastman Audio Archive Fax: 716-274-1380 Eastman School of Music, Sibley Music Library esth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 27 Gibbs Street, Rochester, NY 14604

-