Re: arsclist Analog reformatting tape specs-Advice sought

Richard -

For the US, the Sound Recordings Procedures Manual published by the National
Archives and Records Administration (1993) specifies one direction only, and
so have my clients.

This is subject to change (and lots of discussion), but I haven't seen any
recently.

Later. Parker

on 1/9/02 8:33 PM, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> Sorry for the cross posting...please ignore this if you get it more than
> once. I can never figure out where the best place(s) is/are to post these
> types of queries.
>
> I have been asked to propose the reformatting of a small but important
> collection of audio recordings. These are field oral histories made with
> presumably inexpensive portable recorders. I have not heard them yet.
>
> The originals are on C-120 cassettes. (pray for me if I get the project)
>
> The potential client has requested analog audio reels as well as CD-R red
> book audio copies. They are committed to making the reels and have the
> money to pay for them. I have already discussed whether or not they should
> do this and they want to do this to be safe.
>
> I see this as an audio-domain reformatting process that does not involve
> the computer.
>
> The CD-Rs will be provided in dual, single-wide jewel boxes, one CD-R per
> cassette side. This will provide easy tracking of the reformatted copies.
>
> The analog reel tapes pose a challenge. After research I've pretty much
> decided on Emtec 911. That was pretty easy.
>
> Certainly 7.5 in/s will be more than adequate to capture the fidelity of
> the original and allows one hour to be recorded on a 10.5 inch reel of
> tape, keeping 1:1 correspondence among the original, the CD-R, and the reel.
>
> I am torn between recording two reels, one for each side of the tape, in
> full-track mono (the original cassette tapes are currently assumed to be
> mono) and recording one reel per cassette in half-track mono. This latter
> option would mean that there are two programs on the tape, each going in
> opposite directions.
>
> After looking at the bob-and-weave of the 50+-year-old Magnetophonband
> tapes that I recently transferred, I feel better with full track mono. In
> fact, the Magnetophonband tapes sound as good as they do ONLY because they
> are full track and 30 in/s.
>
> I'm leaning towards the full-track mono, 2-reels-per-cassette solution, but
> does anyone think this is total overkill?
>
> Any thoughts or standards you could point me to would be appreciated.
>
> Oh and I think setting up the machine to record on Emtec 911 will be a
> piece of cake after setting it up for Magnetophonband Typ L!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Richard

---
Parker Dinkins                      CD Mastering + Audio Restoration
MasterDigital Corporation               http://www.masterdigital.com

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
from the author of the post.