arsclist Analog reformatting tape specs-Advice sought

Sorry for the cross posting...please ignore this if you get it more than once. I can never figure out where the best place(s) is/are to post these types of queries.

I have been asked to propose the reformatting of a small but important collection of audio recordings. These are field oral histories made with presumably inexpensive portable recorders. I have not heard them yet.

The originals are on C-120 cassettes. (pray for me if I get the project)

The potential client has requested analog audio reels as well as CD-R red book audio copies. They are committed to making the reels and have the money to pay for them. I have already discussed whether or not they should do this and they want to do this to be safe.

I see this as an audio-domain reformatting process that does not involve the computer.

The CD-Rs will be provided in dual, single-wide jewel boxes, one CD-R per cassette side. This will provide easy tracking of the reformatted copies.

The analog reel tapes pose a challenge. After research I've pretty much decided on Emtec 911. That was pretty easy.

Certainly 7.5 in/s will be more than adequate to capture the fidelity of the original and allows one hour to be recorded on a 10.5 inch reel of tape, keeping 1:1 correspondence among the original, the CD-R, and the reel.

I am torn between recording two reels, one for each side of the tape, in full-track mono (the original cassette tapes are currently assumed to be mono) and recording one reel per cassette in half-track mono. This latter option would mean that there are two programs on the tape, each going in opposite directions.

After looking at the bob-and-weave of the 50+-year-old Magnetophonband tapes that I recently transferred, I feel better with full track mono. In fact, the Magnetophonband tapes sound as good as they do ONLY because they are full track and 30 in/s.

I'm leaning towards the full-track mono, 2-reels-per-cassette solution, but does anyone think this is total overkill?

Any thoughts or standards you could point me to would be appreciated.

Oh and I think setting up the machine to record on Emtec 911 will be a piece of cake after setting it up for Magnetophonband Typ L!

Thanks!

Richard

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html