Re: arsclist Fwd: Non-member submission from ["Jo Anne Martinez " <carino@nmfiber.com>]

You might want to take a look at my website, where I discuss some of the
issues you raise.  Many tapes don't just jump out of the box and get copied-
various problems arise from the way they were recorded, used and stored
which have consequences to processing costs.

Will you have a machine to play 10" tapes back in future years?  Do you
think you'll need one?  Should you include funds to purchase one in your
preservation budget?

One substantial difference is that unrecorded 10" reel to reel tape is about
$ 25.00 where good qualty CDs cost
$ 2.00 or less.

The lifespan of CDs is widely disputed.

And you thought there'd be a simple answer.

Steve Smolian

Steven Smolian    301-694-5134
Smolian Sound Studios
CDs made from old recordings,