Re: arsclist Re: Elgar and Menuhin

Date sent:      	Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:32:25 +0100
Subject:        	Re: arsclist Re: Elgar and Menuhin
From:           	Simon Squire <cjlocate@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	<ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Send reply to:  	ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is a comment on a query from Simon Squire:

>  But this
> does raise the question, what was the Victor recording system?  One
> assumes that it refers to the acoustical process devised by Berliner.

Well, it is quite certain that it was not the acoustical process.
Berliner really invented two things: photo-etching of cylinders and
discs and the etching of a groove where a stylus had scratched
bare the surface of a metal disc. That was replaced by the wax
cutting process where the groove was cut directly, without the
detour of etching. Eldridge R. Johnson who was the owner of the
Victor Talking Machine Company for many years invented
processes used by Victor.

As to markings relating to Victor and the Gramophone Co.: the
matrix exchange agreement between them stipulated that Victor
should mark the European matrices with a crown near the place of
the original matrix no., and the Gramophone Co. were to mark the
American matrices with a capital A. This A continued for much
longer than the crown. After World War I various national re-issue
series were launched by the Gramophone Co., and in some cases
of wartime recording they had to resort to using the Victor matrices
that had been used in Victor foreign series but recorded in Europe.
Hence you will find Gramophone Co. records recorded in Europe
but having a crown anyway. The cases I have found all relate to the
groove profile being unsuitable for reproduction of the original
European masters, whereas Victor had dealt with that problem
when they received the original material from Europe for their
foreign series. The reason the groove profile was unsuitable was
that the recordings were made by a hired, independent recording
engineer using his own cutting stylii.

Kind regards to everybody concerned!

George Brock-Nannestad
Preservation Tactics