Re: arsclist Studio/Shop design

Hello Kurt

On 30-Aug-01, Kurt Nauck wrote:
> Greetings all.
>
> I am about to start construction on a 6000 sq ft building for my
> business, and I have a couple of questions for the list.
>
> 1) Is there a preferred type of lighting for archives? Something that
> won't cause objects to fade or discolor?

Traditional tungsten filament lamps emit almost zero ultra-violet, so
will minimize fading.  Fluorescent and quartz halogen lamps emit some
UV.

Of course the tungsten lamps are more expensive to run, for a given
light level.  Localised desk and spot lamps are good, as opposed to the
typical all-over glare of office lighting.

You can get film which will reduce the amount of UV coming through
windows.

Regards
--
Don Cox