Re: arsclist 78 cleaning machines.

Tom wrote:

> We will need to clean thousands of 78s and the Keith Monk cleaning
> machine has been recommended. Before we spend the thousand of dollars on
> a machine such as this, has anyone out there used this machine
> extensively and have and comments about it. Is it worth it or are there
> others that will do just as well?
> Also, what kind of cleaning solution should be used?

Tom Diamant's posting seems to have produced moderate interest, so let me
tell you a little story...

Besides offering Audio-Restoration services, I am also the North American
agent for Keith Monks and sole distributor of the Keith Monks "Archivist"
record cleaning machine.  A few years ago I did what some of you are now
doing, that is, I was seeking a method of cleaning phonograph records
that was...

1. good
2. versatile and adaptable
3. safe
4. efficient
5. usable by relatively non-skilled, but trained personnel
6. cheap

for applying to the task at hand, namely cleaning of a large collection of
a wide variety of phonograph records, ranging from all the shellac
compositions, to styrene, vinyl, lacquer and metal types.

In my opinion, Monks had cornered that market on 5 out of the 6 points... it
wasn't cheap!  Other lesser expensive devices were looked at, and they
all had one or more deficiencies including VPI and Nitty-Gritty (I still
cringe at a device designed to clean records containing the word "grit"
in the name!)

I approached Keith Monks to make a special version of his standard record
cleaning machine that contained two separate chemistry systems (for minimal
possibility of applying damaging cleaning fluids to a valuable artifact) and
that would accommodate up to 16 inch discs.  This was how the "Archivist"
machine came into existence.  The first one went into my own restoration
suite, and the second went to Gilles St. Laurent at Canada's National
Library in Ottawa.  Since then, three "Archivist's" have been shipped to
Library of Congress, and others to numerous individuals and institutions
with large phonograph record holdings.

As she noted, Susan Harvey at Del Mar College bought one two years ago
and other than some initial teething, I believe she is pleased with it.

Important note:

Susan... If you are happy with your "Archivist", by all means, tell the
         world... if, however, there any problems please tell me!

A few notes about cleaning fluids:-

The original Monks Record Cleaning Machine was intended for hi-end LP record
applications and recommended using ethyl alcohol (the drinking kind!).
This may have worked well for vinyl LP records, but it should never be used
for any other record cleaning purpose.

As any conservator should know, this would be deadly for cleaning
shellac 78's, because alcohol dissolves shellac, thus destroying the
grooved surface you were trying to clean!

The Archivist machine was designed to allow ready access to two separate
chemistry systems for this reason.  If you are not using alcohol as a
cleaning fluid, the second reservoir can be filled with distilled water and
used as a rinse where other specialized fluids are used.

A safe and virtually universal cleaner is Kodak Photo Flo 200 diluted 1:200
with distilled water.

There are a variety of cleaning methods and fluids that can be used
with the Monks machine for specialized cleaning tasks, but I won't attempt
to go into it here.  I intend to publish a document on my experience with
cleaning phonograph records using them and the Monks machine.

A typical example is The Disc Doctor who makes a group of brushes and
chemistry for doing hand cleaning which is comparable to what the Monks
machine does, but it trades your elbow grease for the cost.  Some Monks
users have chosen to use the Disc Doctor's chemistry for their cleaning
fluid of choice.

You will probably never find a cleaning machine/system that will fulfill all
6 attributes that I listed above, meanwhile if you want more details on the
Keith Monks Record Cleaning Machine, look at my website at:-

http://www.audio-restoration.com/monks5.htm

Write me if you have any questions at:-  gn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.