From: Steven Smolian [mailto:smolians@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 01 August 2001 03:01
To: "ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"@galileo.cc.rochester.edu; AV Media Listserv
Subject: arsclist Analog system noise

Forgive the cross-postings.  The question concerns all of us doing sound preservation from disc sources.

Has anyone come up with a number for the acceptable amount of noise in an analog system, stylus tip to converter, and how to measure it?

I've been using my digital meters with a peak hold feature.  I play the old Victor (actually Western Electric) test record with a 1K continuous tone and bring all levels to zero throughout the system to the coverter, where I set it at -2 db.  (If I don't, then random shellac noises will push me into the red and I get no useful number.)  I then remove the stylus from the groove, reset, and see what number comes up.  I then subtract 2 to account for my -2 setting, and assume that is a reading of analog system noise.

I realize that the numbers will differ a bit,depending on stylus size- larger ones have greater output.

Comments on the procedure?

Any ideas on what would be an acceptable minimum amount of system noise?

Steve Smolian

legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you

are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify

the postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be

disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of

the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British

Library. The British Library does not take any responsibility for

the views of the author.