Re: arsclist reel to reel player/recorder

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Doug Pomeroy wrote:

> I agree with your admonition about "processing in the digital domain",
> but this is *precisely* why archival/preservation work must NEVER
> include any digital signal processing. I believe this is fully understood
> by all those doing archival preservation work these days.

For me, the archival/preservaton process does not serve a single purpose.

I believe the notion of a "flat transfer" is a misnomer. Of course one
tries to get the best possible signal from any source, but even such a
notion of "best possible" can be subjective.

While I do my best to create a "flat transfer," I also see it important to
make a second copy for patron use. For that copy I use every bit of
software I have available to make the recording as free of noise as
possible...an undeniably subjective notion. From my perspective, the
preparation of this second copy is very much a part of archival/preservation work.

Karl