Re: arsclist reel to reel player/recorder

Don,

Thanks for clarification. I definitely disagree.

You can't copy *anything* forever without SOME loss.
But high-quality digital equipment DOES allow virtually endless
copying WITHOUT loss, digital bit-for-bit. This has been demonstrated.
To suggest that this is "not good enough" strikes me as extreme
stogginess, even without mentioning the weaknesses of the alternatives!

I agree with your admonition about "processing in the digital domain",
but this is *precisely* why archival/preservation work must NEVER
include any digital signal processing. I believe this is fully understood
by all those doing archival preservation work these days.

The matter of "lossy compression" is totally irrelevant, as you seem
to acknowledge.

You say

> "given an old tape or disc, playing it back so
> that nothing is lost is hard,

but I would assure you that there are qualified engineers who CAN
do this extremely well. In spite of what you may have read in the
popular press, which always makes it out as some kind of black art,

> and converting from analogue to digital
> without losing more is also hard.

Wrong. There is nothing "hard" about it. It just requires good equipment,
musical sensibility and a knowledge of the medium(s) involved. And
experience doesn't hurt, of course. I'd venture to say it's only "hard" if
you are dealing with people who don't understand the music and/or the
medium.

I don't mean to sound like a snotty old fart, but there has been SO MUCH
nonesense spread around about these matters, I eventually start to loose
my temper a little bit. Forgive me.

Cheers,

Doug
-------