RE: arsclist reel to reel player/recorder

Dear All,  Once again I am having to apologise for being out-of-synchronism
in this debate, because I am on another continent. And I would like to thank
Richard Hess for his comments.
    When we are at the leading edge of technology, my little grey cell
thinks we ought to test sound storage media (whether digital or analogue)
using *both* our ears *and* suitable test-equipment. This was universal in
analogue sound-recording days, but unfortunately digital gurus tend to sit
on one side of the fence or the other. So I adopted this principle when we
began digitising sounds in 1982 with the Betamax F1 system. I did all the
usual analogue tests (which the equipment passed), and using the best
loudspeakers in listening-rooms which were familiar to the victims, we
compared signals which had been through a PCM-F1 coder-and-decoder with
those which had not. All the victims could near no difference, even when the
operator was free to compare "before" with "after" on a changeover switch.
And that was in 1982! (For the pedants, I will agree we didn't use "double
blind" test procedures).
    Our current policy is that operators should continue this process, and I
do random checks upon the results. Frankly, I am baffled that people claim
to be able to hear differences between different CD players playing copies
of the same discs, let alone different types of analogue-to-digital
converters. However, I am prepared to admit that my hearing may not be what
it was; so I am trying (with the aforementioned limited resources) to
understand why.
    Classical information theory describes something called "the impulse
response test". In this, a very short transient spike is presented to the
equipment under test, and the resulting output is recorded. The British
magazine "Hi-Fi News" was recently been comparing top-end CD players using
an impulse response. Perfect impulses are easy to generate in the digital
domain. You have a large number of consecutive zeros, then change just one
sample to +32767 (for sixteen-bit tests), and you can buy CDs with this
test. The resulting analogue signals coming out of Hi-Fi News' CD players
were all totally different from each other! The reviewer didn't go into the
differences very deeply, but being familiar with the information-theory
issues, I could see that some were made to give the widest uncorrupted
frequency ranges, others made to give the best transient responses, etc.
    And this is only high-end digital *reproduction*! We are currently
attempting to tackle analogue-to-digital *converters* in a similar way, and
develop a standard methodology so we may document the performance of such
converters for all time. As far as I know, the AES has made no
recommendations for such a test, but we are not in the main British Library
building, so I cannot confirm this; can anyone correct me?
    My aim is that a load of work done on (say) a particular Macintosh
computer can have the performance of its converter stored alongside its
resulting CD-Rs. It is still early days to present my conclusions, but I
hope to talk to some of you at the ARSC/IASA Conference in September.
*Correcting* distortions shown up by such a test will be the next stage; I
am sure John Watkinson could describe the limits of what would ever be
possible.
    I know I count as a snotty old fart too; I can only plead that I am
doing my best!
Peter Copeland
<peter.copeland@xxxxx>