RE: arsclist reel to reel player/recorder

Sorry this discussion is getting rather skewed, because of the
time-differences between your continent and mine! Since others have leapt
into the deep end, I will fill you in on our philosophy here at the British
Library.
    Because of lack of resources, we are currently copying only "vulnerable"
media, by which I mean stuff which will self-destruct even if you leave it
on the shelf in benign conditions without even touching it. In the case of
tape this means:
(1) Acetate-based tape, which Holly Robertson already knows about;
(2) Thin-based tape, in which print-through increases with the logarithm of
the time;
(3) Polyurethane-binder syndrome tape, which hardly affects us because the
disease never afflicted British-made tape.
    This leaves (1) and (2). In these cases, the power-bandwidth product of
the original material is always much less than even an ordinary Red-book
compact disc, so we move the sound onto gold CD-Rs in duplicate. This
combines a long-life medium, a medium for which there are over a billion
players (so we are more likely to be able to play the things in future), and
one *not* controlled by "software" (which always seems to evolve with only
one layer of downwards-compatibility). We also find that copying the tape
only takes about twenty percent of the operator's time. The remainder is
taken in printing the CDs (we use Thermal printing), listening to the sound
and documenting it, making the inlay cards, and getting the complete
accession-record into the National Sound Archive's computer "Cadensa". This
includes the serial numbers of the CD-R discs, so if a batch becomes faulty
before its expected time, we can pull all the discs of that batch off the
shelf and start an emergency recovery programme.
    Messrs. Studer in Switzerland still make machines on this side of the
pond, but I understand there's only one model now (their type A807). For the
weird formats on quarter-inch tape, we are always looking out for examples
of a domestic/semi-pro machine made in London in the 1960s, the Brenell. It
has four tape speeds (1.875ips to 15ips), the Model 510 can handle NAB
spools, and there is enough space to mount four tape heads so it can be
assembled to play most track formats. (Mine contains an internal plugboard
so any head can be connected to any amplifier. And my amplifiers have been
built to cope with NAB, CCIR, and IEC characteristics). It's such a low-tech
machine that any half-competent engineer can keep it running!
    Here endeth the second lesson.   Peter Copeland
<peter.copeland@xxxxx>