Re: arsclist reel to reel player/recorder

Steve,

I don't know how we got from a discussion
of archival preservation to a discussion of digital
de-clicking programs, since they should *never* be
used in that type of work.
Anyway, I disagree that there is any inherrent flaw.
(I'm talking about CEDAR.)
If you come to my studio I believe I can *prove* this to you.
You may think a dryer signal is an inevitable concomitant of
processing, but that's because when it's done well, there's no
telltale degredation to grab your attention, and you remain
unaware that any processing took place. Which is the way it
should be!
Sure, we have all heard terribly overprocessed reissues,
with reverb added in a failed attempt to conceal the damage.
But that only proves that there will always be a subjective
factor; engineers are human beings. (This brings to mind a
joke, but not now.)
Anyway, I agree 24 bit resolution makes no difference (since
the noise-floor is invariably so much higher anyway). And I agree
emphatically with Shifrin about manual waveform re-drawing:
it is the only *totally* transparent means of removing some forms
of noise. As you know, I do it all day long!

Finally, thanks to Don Cox for reminding me of CD-ROMs superiority
over conventional CD-R in regards read/write integrity.

Doug Pomeroy   pomeroyaudio@xxxxxxx
Audio Restoration [CEDAR] & Remastering
----------
>From: "Doug Pomeroy" <pomeroyaudio@xxxxxxx>
>To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: arsclist reel to reel player/recorder
>Date: Wed, Jun 13, 2001, 3:31 PM
>
> ----------
>>From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
>>To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Subject: Re: arsclist reel to reel player/recorder
>>Date: Wed, Jun 13, 2001, 11:31 AM
>>

>> I'd like to add my two cents worth here.
>>
>> The most basic problem I encounter is that those performing the preservation
>> work or making judgements about it (i.e., producers) have no idea how
>> well-or poorly- the original can sound when properly cleaned, aligned,
>> equalized, centered, played through excellent equipment, etc.
>>
>> The rerecording crew therefore has no standard of "best audio obtainable
>> from this item" toward which they are aiming, subjective though it may be,
>> and tempered by the hearing idiosyncrasies of those involved.
>>
>> And I still maintain that there is a basic flaw in the algorithms in digital
>> declicking programs, that the distortion they introduce is not solved by
>> processing at 24 bit wordlengths, and that the resulting drier signal, even
>> when rewarmed by echo, reverb, etc., compromises the sound that is being
>> preserved.

>> Steven Smolian    301-694-5134
>> Smolian Sound Studios
>> CDs made from old recordings,