Re: arsclist reel to reel player/recorder

On 13-Jun-01, Doug Pomeroy wrote:

> I believe we have FINALLY reached the time when even the most
> conservative forces in the world of audio preservation have recognized
> the superiority of digital storage. Are you at all familiar with the
> issue of analog vs digital as relates to archiving?

The problem is getting from one to the other without losing information.

A valuable reference book on these topics is "The Art of Digital Audio"
by Watkinson. (3rd Ed).

One has only to listen to various CD versions of the same older
recording to realise that accurate transfer is an unattainable goal, and
judgements have to be made about which aspect of the sound has priority.

Also, there is the question of cost. How many hours will the budget
allow to be spent on each original ?

Regards
--
Don Cox