Re: arsclist reel to reel player/recorder

Hi Holly,

I am very confused by what you propose.
You mention sending your orginal tapes out to "a pro in audio
migration/engineering", and also purchasing a reel recorder. Do you mean you
are purchasing the recorder for the pro to whom you send your tapes. If he's
a pro, why would you need to buy him a machine?
Or, do you mean that YOU will record the "ordained preservation copies"
on the reel-to-reel recorder (at 7.5 ips on 7" reels)? If so, do you know
how to align a tape deck for optimal transfer from tapes recorded on many
other machines?

Leaving those questions aside, where did you get the idea that there is no
"uncompressed" digital format? And what do you mean by "non-sampling
format". Do you mean non-digital? Did the people you spoke to about flash
memory have ANY idea what your objectives are?

I believe we have FINALLY reached the time when even the most conservative
forces in the world of audio preservation have recognized the superiority of
digital storage. Are you at all familiar with the issue of analog vs digital
as relates to archiving?

Doug Pomeroy   pomeroyaudio@xxxxxxx
Audio Restoration [CEDAR] & Remastering