Re: arsclist Playback equipment for phonograph records

Date sent:      	Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:42:37 -0400
From:           	Graham Newton <gn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copies to:      	Susan Harvey <sharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	Re: arsclist Playback equipment for phonograph records
Send reply to:  	ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I would caution you on the ELT, simply because if you want to cover a
> wide variety of disc types and composition, the ELT is not the one to
> do it.

I have used an LT-1XA for a period recently, and I can report that it
is not so. There are some fundamental limitations linked to the
principle of operation, and they obviously have to be taken into
account when usefulness is considered.

It will reproduce any record in a shiny black material which has
grooves created by a cutting stylus which has a straight line in its
profile. That covers most lateral 78s, from 7" to 12", from 60 to 90
rpm in 0.2 rpm steps, adjustable during replay. The depth of the
tracking is also adjustable during replay, and because the channel
separation is at least 40 dB over the whole frequency range (where
standard stereo pickups may even go below 20 dB), the advantage
of choosing the less worn side of the groove is immediately
obvious. The depth adjustment corresponds to using a different
truncated stylus, only in this case the testing wears neither record
nor stylus. A surprising effect of the fact that no stylus touches the
grooves is that a cracked or even Scotch-tape assembled record
will play with just the faintest of ticks - both sides!

I have successfully played records from 1898, 1903, 1910, 1913
and a host of other 78s, mostly shellac but a number pressed in
black vinyl.

LPs and 45s may be played between 30 and 50 rpm with 0.1 rpm
steps. The stereo image is extremely stable if the original record is
properly balanced.

For both black record types cleanliness is of extreme importance if
one wants to avoid contribution of extremely brief clicks form
specks of dust. However, there is no problem in identifying content
without cleaning (considering that cleaning may be invasive in its
own right), there will simply be more noise. The disturbance from
that is either a question of taste, or may be a simple matter for a
noise removing unit to work on, because the distinction between a
noise pulse and proper signal is so much greater than for
conventional pickups.

The LT will not play Pathé discs, nor Edison Diamond discs,
because the groove was generated by a cylinder at an angle, and
the profile is all curves (basically an ellipse). Hence there is no line
that can properly reflect light to the receivers. The LT will in general
also not play ordinary acetates (lacquers, not really made of
acetate but cellulose nitrate), because they are in a transparent
material, and colored record materials it will also refuse.
Sometimes the machine gets confused by the label colour, in
which case a "label cover" is slipped over it on the spindle.

All in all this is an enviable piece of machinery, and I expect that
the high cost is due to hand manufacture and assembly. The LT
comes with a VPI Cleaner, which was found to be the best to fulfil
the requirements, and a separate passive filter unit which I have not
used. I use an Elberg preamp from VadLyd instead, and this unit
permits simple A/B comparison.

> Gilles St. Laurent at Canada's National Library in Ottawa would be
> pleased elaborate, since they have one and found that it was a nice
> idea, but there are many problems that have not been addressed.

This is also where I learnt about the ELP LT series.

Kind regards,

George Brock-Nannestad
Preservation Tactics