Tower Records, etc.

Today there have been numerous postings regarding problems at Tower Records.  An article appeared in Musical America regarding this retail operation's relationships with its suppliers.

http://www.wqxr.com/cgi-bin/iowa/cla/article.html?record=51
It's old news that Tower has been in financial trouble for some time now, going back to Nov, 1999 http://sacremento.bcentral.com/sacremento/stories/1999/11/01/daily12.html .  Reasons include not only the ease of ordering from the net and broader availability through the net, but also difficulties with foreign exchange with a relatively small multi-national company.  Their book operation has failed as well. http://www.nytimes.com/books/01/03/18/abim/pw-tower.html

It's a hard outfit to get info on as it's not a listed stock.  Perhaps those with a D&B account might help.

They were always a company that insisted its small suppliers (I once was one of them) finance their acquisitions by waiting a long time to be paid- 180 days was not unusual.  Now they are insisting on 360 days.

They, and similar large operations, then return any unsold merchandise, now gone a year stale, for credit as a condition to placing an order for new releases.  A small record outfit has no such leverage with its bank (or, as is often the case, credit card company.)  No wonder so many record companies are short lived.

I'm not sure this battleship can turn around.  They must carry inventory rather than run a "just in time" service as do most net dealers.  I'm sure you can all think of other problems regarding the acquisition of commercial sound recordings better solved on the net right now.

Mr. Darwin is operating in fast-forward nowadays.  It will be interesting to see what evolves from this latest turn of events.

Steven Smolian    301-694-5134
Smolian Sound Studios
CDs made from old recordings,
Five or one or lifetime hoardings,