creating sticky shed deterioration

Richard Hess wrote:

>Do you think if I leave a reel of 1981
> vintage 456 in my bathroom for a month of showers it will be hydrolized
> enough?

This has been part of the problem for studying tape deterioration:  as far as I know, no one has been able to create "sticky shed" in the lab.  It makes it really tough to determine what physical mechanism causes deterioration.

As far as the weight and thickness of Pellon (other brand names are Hollytex and Reemay), I believe that the one used for our experiment was 4 mil (thin).

Sarah Stauderman

Sarah Stauderman
Preservation Manager
Smithsonian Institution Archives