Re: Fwd: arsclist Edison Bell

John Demetrick wrote:
>The disc is: Edison Bell Electron, # R1066
>R 20 - Sarba lui Victor Talianu (matrix # R20A)
>
>I am most interested in "date of recording", though I
>suppose all info possible be appreciated.
>
>My own thoughts: The fact that the matrix number is so low suggests to
>me that this may indeed be a distinct series. "R." may well stand for
>Romanian...The disc features a Romanian musician and was purchased
>(second hand!) in Romania approximately 6 months ago.

It seems that Edison Bell was quite active in producing different series
to be marketed in various European countries (including the Balkans)..

The example quoted here is apparently from a Romanian series... I very
muchdoubt that there is any surviving documentation for this company
which would provide a date of recording.

The best I can offer is that the Edison Bell Electron label existed
from mid-1927 until late 1930... So the date of recording/release
would be late 1920s.

Without knowing anything about the duration of this specifically
Romanian series I can't be more specific than this! If you can locate
contemporary references in Romania (such as newspaper or magazine
advertisements for Edison Bell Electron records) it may be possible
to establish a release date for the record you have and the recording
date would typically be 3-6 month previous to that date.

Regards,
Ross