Re: Fwd: arsclist Edison Bell

Dear John, Steve and ARSC colleagues in general:

there is a recording date - that is what is frequently made available
in discographies. However, the query was "date of fabrication".
Now, that may also mean when the actual copy of the record was
pressed. In most cases its only relationship with the recording date
is that it is later. The date of manufacture is just as important for
the distribution of a recording, because of the many matrix
exchange agreements between companies. For instance, Edison
Bell Winner at times used US Paramount and Genett masters.
And later, apparently US Royale used Edison Bell masters. Hence
all of the dates are of interest.

Now, I do not off-hand recognize the style of the number in
question: is it an Edison Bell Electron? There were "Winner",
"Radio" and "Electron" series - the latter had interesting continental
European recordings as well (about 1931). Obviously more
information would be needed.

The following is a general rule of courtesy:  For further queries
broadcast via ARSC, please bring as much information as you have
yourself when asking for information from others. Information is the
only entity that multiplies by changing hands, and hence it should
be shared if you want information in return. It is tempting to collect
pieces of information in order to be the first and only to possess all
bits of the puzzle; complete documentation of an item may be
quite valuable. But then the information collector must do the
legwork himself, otherwise it is termed "sponging". And in our
times of the internet - legwork means paperwork!

Kind regards,

George Brock-Nannestad
Preservation Tactics

Original messages: