record collecting

Re K McBain's posting,  while I am interested in the content of many vintage records, and enjoy listening to them as much as modern digital items, I am also fascinated by them as objets d'art in their own right, and am a self-confessed "anorak" (to use the English phrase) when it comes to label variants, matrix numbers and so on.

Also while I buy the odd CD transfer of vintage material (in which case it is purely for the content) I MUCH prefer to listen to the original and have set up my modest private archive for preservation of the same.

To me a CD or other modern-carrier transfer is like a photocopy of a rare postage stamp.  It has all the content of the original but is just not the same.

Stephen Sutton
Northern Vintage Recordings Archive (England)