Re: arsclist Arhoolie Foundation - Digitizing Project

Doug Pomeroy wrote:

> If you do make flat transfers, you need a preamp designed to give such an
> output (in "stereo"), and there are really none on the market today, except
> for the wildly overpriced FM Acoustics (and the one mentioned by George
> Brock-Nannestad), which also has other useful controls re: turnover and
> rolloff curves. But it is not rocket science to modify a preamp to defeat
> the RIAA curve, and this is what I would suggest. (Stanton used to make the
> Model 300B Phono Preamp, which has an optional "flat" eq output.)

For a few years I have used a Waxworks II preamplifier and am well
satisfied with its performance.  It provides a decent range of
equalization options (including flat); gives left channel, right
channel, stereo, mono, or vertical output; offers a null/balance
function; and is priced, as I recall, at about $400. The website is
http://www.shellac.org/slumber/waxworks.html.

-- Jack Raymond