Re: arsclist ["David Satz" <DSatz@msn.com>]

David,

I appreciate your comments.  I'm starting to feel like I am playing a game
of telephone with this stuff, so I am going to make one last attempt to
clarify my view. Responding to a post I read on Sound-L I sent out a list
of characteristics I would consider when assembling a system for
digitizing TAPE recordings (reels and cassettes if memory serves).
Although I am not certain in that persons case, it strikes me that the
potential exists with the format for a wide dynamic range. Also somehow I
managed to read Steve's comment to be an issue of level and not dynamic
range. When I went back and looked this morning it was clear that I was in
error.  I appologise to the list for not reading more carefully. And
lastly, I was simply echoing Steve's assertion that it seems more straight
forward to convert from 88.2 to 44.1k.  I'm still not sure what his point
was.  Perhaps it was just a reaction to my earlier stating it as one of
many possible sample rates?

Oh and I agree with you that proper dither is the key to eliminating
quantize distortion. I believe I even said so in my original post, though
perhaps not as clearly as I should. Of course not all systems
automatically implement dither.  In fact often it is the better
workstations that leave when to dither and what kind of dither to use in
the hands of the engineer. So in some situations care must still be taken
to avoid the distortion you mention.

Best regards,

Dave

|  David Ackerman               |  Telephone: 617-495-2794         |
|  Audio Preservation Engineer  |  Fax: 617-496-4636               |
|  Archive World Music          |  e-mail: dackerm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
|  Harvard University           |                                  |
|  Cambridge, MA 02138          |  PGP key 0xE928B52F              |