Re: arsclist Arhoolie Foundation - Digitizing Project

A couple comments, with much info which everybody already knows:

Everyone is in favor of recording at the highest resolution, but it makes
sense to look at the matter carefully when dealing with old recordings. What
is the resolution of the source? Old 78 rpm shellac pressings can have very
good fidelity in the best cases (eg., some of Victor's Orthophonics), but
even in those cases the dynamic range is far less than the 95 dB provided by
a well made16 bit digital recording: you reach pure surface noise well
before you actually risk losing any recorded information. The queston of
how many bits, is a question of dynamic range only.

Similarly, the frequency range of old recordings is more than accomodated by
the conventional 44.1 kHz sampling rate. (Your indication of "96 mhz" should
read 96 kHz.) 78 rpm recordings made on the Western Electric cutters could
record up to 8 kHz by the late 30s and the range was extended to 10 kHz, and
slightly beyond, by the end of the 78 rpm era. Those who believe the highest
frequencies in such recordings cannot be fully and accurately captured by a
high-quality converter running at 44.1 kHz are mistaken.

Recording at an unnecessarily low level, does decrease the resolution of any
digital recording. Realistically speaking, if you are making transfers of a
large quantity of 78 rpm discs, there might not be adequate time to set the
ideal level - to activate all 16 bits - for each and every one and so, in
such a case, I can appreciate where having a higher number of bits would be
seen as a good thing in helping to preserve low-level detail in the source
recording. This argument is addressed by George Brock-Nannestad, in his
post:
 > Sadly, sadly, 24 bit is not 24 useful bits at all. You cannot record 8
> bit
> below maximum level (ca. 46 dB below) which would get you 16 bit - these 16
> bits amplified would not get you 16 bit which are as good as 16 bit A/D
> conversion from a proper 16 bit A/D converter!
However, he also feels impulsive noise (eg., "pops & clicks") should be
preserved without digital clipping, and we disagree about that. Such a
requirement definitely requires recording at what I would call unnecessarily
low levels.

IF digital audio is going to be subjected to multiple passes through digital
signal processors, and this includes simple gain changes, then this could be
an argument in favor of recording initially at higher-resolution. With
archival audio, however, this argument doesn't seem particularly relevant.

Tomlinson Holman, who is something of an expert, has commented that 96 kHz
sampling is unnecessary in *any* situation, and results in a tremendous
waste of storage space. (He feels the highest meaningful rate would be ? 60
kHz, and then only for the very highest-quality source recordings.)

Someone suggested using CEDAR processing at the time the preservation
transfers are made. This is definitely not accepted practice. Don't do it.
Make "stereo" (two-track mono) flat transfers.

If you do make flat transfers, you need a preamp designed to give such an
output (in "stereo"), and there are really none on the market today, except
for the wildly overpriced FM Acoustics (and the one mentioned by George
Brock-Nannestad), which also has other useful controls re: turnover and
rolloff curves. But it is not rocket science to modify a preamp to defeat
the RIAA curve, and this is what I would suggest. (Stanton used to make the
Model 300B Phono Preamp, which has an optional "flat" eq output.)

Doug Pomeroy   pomeroyaudio@xxxxxxx
Audio Restoration [CEDAR] & Remastering
-------