Re: arsclist cassette tape shelf life?

One of the biggest problems with audio cassettes is that their speeds may
vary considerably from machine to machine. This will not become apparent
unless the cassette is played on a different machine from the one that it
was recorded on.

Audio cassettes have a relatively narrow track width, which makes them more
susceptible to dirt, fungus and mildew than other analog tapes.

Also, I've found that the tape breaks more often on older audio cassettes,
either at the hub to leader connection, or the leader to tape connection. If
this happens, you will need to re-shell the tape, using 1/8" splicing tape
to make the repair.

Finally, since the tape speed is relatively slow, playback head azimuth
alignment is very important with cassettes. If the azimuth on the playback
head is different from the record head, then the highs will suffer.

Nakamichi made (not sure if it's still available) the model CR-7A cassette
recorder/player which had an adjustable azimuth control for the playback
head.

> do you have any information on how long cassette tapes may survive before
> becoming unplayable? or losing their fidelity?
> i'm sure storage conditions would make a great deal of difference but do
> you have any sense of this question?
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Brian Levy
> Kiwat Hasinay Foundation:
> Preserving Caddo Heritage
> 211 W. Colorado Ave.
> Anadarko, OK 73005  USA
> (1) 405-247-5840
> xernaut@xxxxxxxxxxx

---
Parker Dinkins                      CD Mastering + Audio Restoration
MasterDigital Corporation               http://www.masterdigital.com