Re: arsclist cassette tape shelf life?

on 1/31/01 4:01 AM, Don Cox wrote:

> Nakamichi are again making a cassette deck after a break of several
> years, but it doesn't seem to have adjustable azimuth.  There is a
> problem with Nakamichi decks, tapes recorded on them need to be played
> back on a Nakamichi deck for best results. Sorry, I've forgotten what
> the exact incompatability is.

Nakamichi implemented cassette equalization specifications as promulgated by
Philips differently from other manufacturers. In practice, the difference is
relatively minor. Ironically, Nakamichi got it right and the other
manufacturers did not.

> For those whose budget can justify it, I recommend the Tascam 122MkIII
> cassette deck. <snip>

That's a good deck, too.

---
Parker Dinkins                      CD Mastering + Audio Restoration
MasterDigital Corporation               http://www.masterdigital.com