Re: 16 rpm records

sahl computer oHG
Bauernfeld 4
D-86165 Augsburg, Deutschland
Telephon: +49-821-72044-0
Fax: +49-821-721548
"G. W. Ulrich Sieveking" wrote to the arsclist:

> I know that there must have been microgroove recordings made at 16 2/3
> rpm (they're mentioned on Graham Newton's Site, and I own two record
> players - both are older than I am - offering that speed), but I never
> came across any of these recordings in the market.  So I'd like to know,
> if there has ever been a substantial market for these discs or if they
> never really gained momentum because of obvious technical problems due
> to their low angular speed.

Hello Ulrich...

Mostly, they were used for talking books because of the long playing time of a
side.  Although these were used by sighted people, their greatest use was by
the blind.  There was a great deal of material circulated for this purpose, and
much of it is still in use by the blind.  Also there were music discs,
typically a library of background "elevator" music, done by Seeburg that looked
like 45 rpm records on steroids.  The discs were 9" in diameter with a 2"
center hole.

There were many other examples although they don't turn up that often.

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.