16 rpm records

Hello,

I know that there must have been microgroove recordings made at 16 2/3
rpm (they're mentioned on Graham Newton's Site, and I own two record
players - both are older than I am - offering that speed), but I never
came across any of these recordings in the market.  So I'd like to know,
if there has ever been a substantial market for these discs or if they
never really gained momentum because of obvious technical problems due
to their low angular speed.
Any help or further information is appreciated.

Greetings,
Ulrich

--
U. Sieveking