Cassettes to CD-R

In my earlier posting concerning audio preservation projects using CD-R as a preservation medium, I forgot to note that the recordings I am considering working with are all on cassette.  Possibly this will affect the responses people might offer.

I think if I had facilties already set up to handle open reel transfers, and the original recordings were on open reel, I would probably opt to migrate the stuff to fresh analog reels, making CD-R copies as a kind of provisional backup.  In other words, the CD-R wouldn't be regarded as the primary preservation copy, but if it lasted for fifty years, well, great.  You'd then have two options for retrieving the recording-- tape or CD (assuming you had working equipment).

But in this instance, we're talking about original recordings in cassette format.  Migrating stuff to CD-R from cassette would seem to be moving away from the questionable cassette format to a more robust (?) (or at least stable?) storage medium at least without incurring the expense of 10 inch reels.

As before, comments are solicited.  Thanks...

Steve Green
Western Folklife Center
sgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx