CD-R and Preservation Projects

Greetings,

I was unable to attend last year's ARSC meeting in Madison but obtained a tape copy of the session on using CD-R as a preservation medium and very much appreciated the insights offered by the panelists.

I am contemplating applying to NEH for a small Preservation Assistance Grant and I wanted to query the list to see if anyone knows where things stand with regard to using CD-R in NEH funded archives projects.

Having overseen two relatively major NEH funded audio preservation projects in the past, I am aware of both the expense of undertaking a project using ten inch reels of quarter inch analog tape and of the steady shrinking of industrial support for analog tape.

I have been under the impression that NEH has generally looked more favorably on projects that use analog tape for preservation, but I wonder if that is still the case?  It seems to be harder and harder to justify the investment.  There have been numerous concerns about using digital media for long range preservation, but I wonder if some of those concerns also apply to analog tape, especially the concern that both media and equipment may soon become very difficult to obtain and prohibitively more expensive as the market shrinks.  Since this seems to be what's happening, can archives with audio collections continue to submit proposals based on analog transfers?

Guidelines I just downloaded for NEH Preservation Assistance Grants indicate that the grants will not support "digitization of collections or the purchase of computers, scanners, or digital cameras."  I assume that burning CD-Rs is viewed as digitization and would not be supported.  I can call NEH to inquire further but I wonder if any list members are currently pursuing preservation projects (NEH funded or not) using CD-R as the medium of choice?  Have you then abandoned using analog tape for new projects?

Until I downloaded these guidelines I had assumed that if one adhered to best practices recommended by the nation's experts (many of whom belong to ARSC) and observed certain things like using appropriate, tested media, that moving into the digital domain for preservation was inevitable and acceptable.

Thanks in advance for any insights and comments.

Steve Green
Western Folklife Center
sgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx