ArmorAll (was: Dry tape squeal...)

Doug Rhodes wrote:
> I have a friend, a record collector, who has sprayed ArmorAll (which
> contains silicone) on many of his pre-1935 78 rpm discs. They do,
> indeed, play a bit more smoothly. I suspect, however, that future
> archivists who inherit his collection will be horrified, and will
> have very limited options for removing the stuff.

Not to worry.  The records will probably not exist long enough to be
inherited by future archivists.  Back in the early days of CDs there
was a "fix" that the high-end people swore made CDs sound
better--spray them with ArmorAll.  And several years later they all
discovered that the material had permiated into the polycarbonate
and was clouding them up.  Then some people reported that this had
also happened to their car dashboards--the item that this stuff had
been meant for.  I shudder to think what this stuff will do to a
shellac record.

Your friend didn't also paint the edge of his 78s with a green magic
marker, did he?

Mike Biel  m.biel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx