Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


Any one of the several layers of a hide or skin produced by the mechanical operation of SPLITTING (1) , e.g., grain split, middle split, or flesh split. In ordinary usage, however, the term usually indicates an under layer of a hide or skin, i.e., a layer other than the grain layer, or the leather made therefrom. A grain layer split is generally referred to as a SKIVER . If the name of the animal from which the split originates, or the word "hide" or "skin," or the part of the animal from which it is taken, is included in the description, then the word "split" must be used as a noun, e.g., pig split, hide split, butt split, and not as an adjective, e.g., split pigskin. Cf: SPLIT HIDE . (61 )

[Search all CoOL documents]